Thursday, August 14, 2008

Wednesday @ Shorty's

First off I wish Shortys was closer to my house although I am sure my wife would not like it so much. I do like the fact that they have raised the cap on the 5-5 nl game which was 300 or half the biggest stack. They actually did even better than changing it as they now have none at all. You can now buyin for the standard $500 which is the norm in most 5-5 games. This has really helped the action as the 5-10 game is not killing all the action in the room anymore. No one seemed to understand why the game sucked when everyone is buying into a 5-10 game w/ $200 or $300.
I was down early as I was not connecting w/ any flops and if I did connect it just was not quite good enough. I was down to about 200 left in front of me and I looked down at Q10dd and decided to make it 25 to go. I was looking to just play a hand really as 90% of the time I will just see a flop w/ this holding at Shorty's b/c raises really do nothing but create a big pot. I was ok w/ this in this case as I was looking to gamble a bit. So I make it 25 and Big Mike ask me if I realized the straddle was on. Oops, I sure did not sir. So we promptly see a flop 7 handed I believe for $25. Flop is: 10s 6d 4d. I would say that will work. It checks to me and I lead out for $65 trying to get some action for the rest of my money. It folds to a guy from Houma named Jaime who for whatever reason never seems to believe I have a hand. He checkraises me allin. Ok, I call. The turn is a diamond and the river is an 8. I reveal my hand and he studies it and says " Nice catch Davey" and shows 10-8 off suit. I had to point out to him that I did not need to catch anything b/c he had already started congratulating himself on a good call b/c he said he put me on over cards or a flush draw. I had to let him no (in a nice way ofcourse) that I would never have led into 6 people w/ just 2 over cards. I think he understood but who knows. Anyway, that pot moved me back to even and the rest of the night went well.
One funny thing b/f mentioning a few hands, Mike was down to about $70 bucks when he called the floor over for more chips. The floor guy (Shaun) tells the dealer $500 behind. This would mean that Mike's money is in play for the hand. Mike objects and tells him that he will wait for it to get here. I ofcourse open my mouth and tell him that I hope he flops top set against a hand and makes only $70. Oops!!! He sees a flop w/ 99 and the flop comes K 9 4. Bahahahahaa. The preflop raiser leads out for $40 and Mike puts the rest of his chips in. The guy calls and then Mike turns the 4th 9. The preflop raiser had KQ and was going no where no how if you know what I mean. I laughed my ass off for about 20 minutes as did Shaun when I naturally informed him about what happened. Mike took it well as it was ofcourse better than losing the hand.

A few hands I remember:
I had AA utg and I limp in. I swear this is the first time I do this in probably 6 months as the limp reraise hear normally kills your action if someone does raise. I just decided to change it up if you will. About 4 people limp to Jaime from earlier as he is on the button and he makes it $30 more. I actually contemplated calling and just playing very cautiously, but I notice every single player getting there $30 ready to go. I make it $105 total and it folds to Jaime. He announces allin and has me covered. I had right around $500. I was fortunate to say the least as he had KK and I turn an ace to end that. A little side note as the stacks were being counted down Tim H. says to the dealer to mess w/ me: Dealer you forgot to burn a card. I looked at him and then down. I said "as long as the turn card stays you can burn as many as you want." We had a cheap laugh and went on to the next hand.
I had AA one other time and just made it $20 from early position. We see a flop 7 handed again (YES 7 HANDED). Needless to say I am not gonna get crazy. Flop 10 8 4 w/ 2 clubs. Not a bad flop. I Lead for only $45 as I feel I can find out the same info as if I bet $80 and I want to control the pot as much as possible. I get 2 calls and we see an 8 on the turn. I liked that card as the str8 draw nor the flush draw hit. I bet $85 here and get one call from the blind who had flush draw stamped right across his head. The river bricks and he checks. I didn't even consider betting and show AA and put a few ones on my cards for the dealer b/f he even shows/mucks his cards. After I get the pot this little prick on the side of me says: hey did you forget the dealer." I almost slapped him as even if I wanted to forget the dealer it was none of his fucking business. I said "I am not sure why don't you ask her for me." He actually does which surprised me and I like the dealers reply. She says " Yes honey he got me before I shipped him the pot." He felt dumb and was quiet for the rest of the night.
I called off about $150 on a flopped str8 flush draw which I didn't hit and I did not feel the need to bluff on the river. Good thing b/c it would not have worked as the guy would never have fold his top pair jack kicker.
I did make one decent lay down which saved me a bit of money. I call a $25 preflop raise from late position from a player that plays a lot of hands, but he really doesn't get out of control. Most people think that he does b/c he just seems to be in a lot of pots. We see a flop 3 handed of 10 8 5 w/ 1 spade. I check along w/ the other guy and Pf Rzr bets $40. I call as I want to see his action on the turn and the other guy folds. The turn is a 3 which is no help to me. I check and he bets $100. I look at his stack and he had like $220 left. I really believe that if I call this 100 and he bets again on the river it would be a tough fold as not much will have changed. If he has me beat already w/ an over pair he is certainly gonna bet and if he is bluffing he is definitely gonna bet and I will have to call off $200 to win the pot w/ top pair. I really do not love doing this when I am this unsure. I tell him that I am gonna give him the pot and if he really had a hand he just got unlucky b/c not many people at this table are gonna fold this hand. He asks to see my hand and I said I would if he showed me his. He showed me a set of 10's and I revealed ace 10 to him. He agreed that not many at the table fold there and he drags his pot.
It feels good to make a laydown at the right time every now and then as opposed to my laydown w/ the flush a week or so ago in which I made a terrible lay down. This one was not that great but it definitely save me a hundred bucks or so.
That is all I have for now. I am not gonna get to play this weekend as I am looking forward to spending time w/ my wife and daughter as we are going to Houston for my Brother in laws graduation from Chiropractor school. It should be fun.
Lata

No comments: