Monday, August 4, 2008

Shortys On Sunday w/ Mean Gene & Ruttley.

What can I say I love that place and I wish it was closer to my house. A few friends of mine have said they do not like to play there b/c no one ever folds. I could not disagree more. If you like to play suited connectors and a lot of draws this place is heaven. But shhhh don't tell anyone. You are priced in to everysingle draw you can pick up and the implied odds for small pairs are out of this world. If you can manage to not get unlucky at this place a decent player may really never lose (knock on wood). I probably should not have even said that as I am slightly superstitious. In all honesty I love the place, but you do have to adjust your play somewhat. I for one am very cautious w/ big pairs and fold them on the flop and turn quite often. I know that I fold the best hand quite often, but I am ok w/ that as I prefer not to go broke w/ one pair that often.
As for Sunday Night, if anyone read Gene's blog about his hand w/ KK I am still jelous. I have been playin this game for a while, but still have not learned how to get 2 people to put $300 in the pot preflop w/ k5 and kq and I could give a shit if it is suited. I guess i'll keep trying.
Well the only hand I think I may have played differently is as follows. I am in blind w/ K5dd and call a preflop raise of $20 b/c naturally 5 or 6 others did. It goes w/out sayin that I would love to flop a flush draw as I really am not crazy about flopping a king. Well flop comes out Ad10d10c. I flop my flush draw but didn't want to bet out and have to call a raise. Well no one bets and a free card comes off. The 2 of diamonds and I turn the nut flush on a paired board. I lead out 25 to see who is gonna pay me off w/ a 10 or a worse flush. I get only 1 call and it is from this crazy woman that has already called Ruttley's $60 prelop raise w/ q5 and smoked his KK w/ a QQ board. So she calls and the river is the jack of clubs. I am pretty sure I am good and bet out $45. She very quietly announces that she is allin and has me covered as I have about $400 in front of me.
I quite honestly didn't know what the shit to do. After a few moments(as I tend to act quickly and prolly should take a little more time) I think that she is pretty strong. My only read on her besides her being strong is the fact that she can have absolutely any 2 cards here. The jack is a bad card if she has a 10 b/c most people w/ have j10, 10/9, or something of that nature. I decide to fold as I am fairly confident that I can find another spot to mix it up w/ her. Before folding I ask her if she would show me if she had j10. She says yes and i fold. She tables 78dd for a obviously weaker flush.
The sad thing is that my read of her being strong was correct b/c she loved her hand. She just had no clue of how bad of shape it was in. I for one never raise w/ her hand there so I could not imagine that she would have. IMO she just as easily could have turned over 10/2 as j/10.
Anyway it all worked out after a few more hours as I racked up to leave up about $800. The only problem w/ that was I played my last hand w/ my chips in the rack and picked up JJ. I rzd preflop and saw the flop 3 handed. It was 8 high and I bet $50 and got minrzed on the flop(I hate that). I call and turn is a 9. Guy bets $150 and I told the guy that I was pretty sure I was gonna let him bluff me since I was leaving. I then said that I had a crazy thought that he might have slow played a monster preflop to try and smoke me b/c he was stuck in the game and it was about to break. I fold and he shows me 2 queens. I guess it is a good thing I was leaving b/c I likely would have given him a few hundred more. He was not all that happy about me folding as he said "he knew I had jacks or tens." Sorry I could not be of more help sir.
Anyway I will likely be back there on Wednesday as the action is crazy on Wednesday due to the shitty tourney they run. I honestly don't know where these people come from.

Well as I type this I finished 2nd in a $27 45 man sng on stars for a little over $200 profit and I had the privledge of watching Gene drag a $3 sng for $15. Congrats Gene.
Oh I did let Ruttley bluff me out of a pot on the flop when I flopped the dummy end of the straight. I know I had you beat if you read this one day. lol.

If anyone reads this feel free to let me know what you think as I am pretty honest when talking to others about there play(whether I am right or not who knows). So it will not bother me if you think I am a complete dumbshit. Wow now I know how people end up w/ these long ass posts.

3 comments:

CaptainStacks "King of Cash" said...

I keep hearing about this place Shortys, I might have to come down there for a while with my wheelbarrow. Do these people ever run out of money? Or ever learn anything? Sure hope not. Wells are drying up round these parts.

Now that i have responded to you Southpaw you can consider yourself a real blog now.

p.s. I personally think that woman put you on a flush and figured she could use her table image to bluff you. She possibly was third level

Reid said...

Southpaw - the K5dd hand. That's an awkward spot, right? I know you hate to potentially stack off to a donk and I don't fault you for folding and waiting for an easier spot to bust her, but.......

Results aside, this is probably a call. Though I know the dynamics of calling or folding are different here b/c it's a cash game and not a tourney.....

But like you said, she could have so many hands here, right? And you're only losing to AT, JT, JJ, TT, 22. You're beating every other random T and every other random flush. So all things considered, you're ahead. If she were a rock, then it's a totally different story.

Also, here's some math if you want it. If I counted the pot correctly, there's $615 in there and you need to call off your remaining $400. That's a bit more than 1.5 to 1, so you need right around 40% equity to make a profitable call if you just want to follow the math. Against her crazy assortment of hands, you almost certainly have WAY more equity than this.

If the following hands are all possibilities for her, then you have way the best of it (like 65% equity) to make a call.

{JJ, TT, 22, ATs, KTs, QdJd, QTs, Qd9d, JTs, Jd9d, T8s+, 9d8d, 9d7d, 8d7d, 7d6d, ATo, KTo, QTo, JTo, T8o+ }

Hope this helps.

Southpawrounder said...

Reid, thanks for the math and I totally agree w/ this being a call almost all the time. Something just felt weird in this spot as in an hour at the table she had been in every single hand but I had see her make exactly 2 bets/raises and it was w/ 3 queens which happened to be the nuts for all intensive purposes and the nut straight. She was not the type to bluff, and I actually got the vibe that she was real strong. I just felt I could find a better place to get it in w/ her and have no doubt. But with that said I still believe I should have called. In all honesty another flush never even entered my mind as I would never even consider raising in her spot w/ an 8 high flush there. Trying to get in her head was probably my first mistake though.
Anyway thanks for the input and keep it coming. I always enjoy what you have to say and lookin forward to meeting you at the end of the month if not before.