Thursday, September 18, 2008

No Poker. Off to Denver for Dream Sports Weekend.

I have not played a hand of poker since returning home from the storm. I have actually been busy since returning and have not had a chance to review any hands.
I played 2 of the $340 events at Harrahs Tunica while I was there. The first had a field of 150 and I busted uneventfully w/ about 60 players left. I got lucky early on in this one to double to about 21k from the starting stack of 8k when I played QQ very fast from the small blind and found aces in the cutoff. This is the history. This middle age guy sits down 5 minutes into the tourney and gives the typical this is my first tourney speech. A line that was total bullshit b/c no one plays in there first tournament w/ a black leather WSOP jacket and a black cowboy hat that is about 8 sizes to big for there head. He was just an overall douchbag(one that tricked the hell out of me I might add). Anyway, he is playing really fast. He opens for a raise on the button and gets reraised by the small blind and calls. The flop comes king high and the sb checks and he bets(like 800). The sb checkraises allin for like 5500. Keep in mind the blinds are 50/100 in the 2nd level of the tourney w/ 8k starting chips. The douchbag calls allin w/ the quickness and proudly shows k7cc for top pair 7 kicker and no draw. The sb promptly reveals ak and proceeds to watch the dealer stick it in his ass w/ a 7 on the river. Nice.
So about ten minutes later the exact same scenerio plays out w/ the douchbag except this time he has Ace 3 off against ak on an ace high flop. He check calls the flop after calling a rasie preflop. He then check raises allin on the turn and gets called by AK. The guy w/ AK has top pair and nut flush draw. The douchbag hits the 3 on the river to bust him.
Now this guy has had inferior hands for an hour and built up about 26k in chips and he has to be due to pick up a real hand. Just so happens to be the time for me to do the same. Well I don't like rasing from the sb or bb against a field of limpers. I am in the big blind and 4 people limp in for 200 and I look at QQ. As I saw everyone limping I thought to myself, Self you'll probably pick up a big hand. I make it 1400 more to attempt to thin the field. It worked except the douchbag w/ 26k in chips moves them all in the pot. This is almost always a fold for me this early as I have 11k in chips and I really do not need to play for all my chips, but then part of me really couldn't understand why or what anyone would limp from the cutoff w/ 3 limpers in front of him and then do that with. Did he think I was making a move from the blind against all the weak limpers? I was too curious to fold and given his history I just could see him flipping to 6's over after I fold to many times. So ofcourse I call and he proudly flips over his two Aces. OOPS. I flop the queen and double up. For the rest of this tournament I played as bad as humanly possible, chasing flush draws and stabbing at pots when I knew I shouldn't be. My last hand came when I moved over the top of a button raise who I figured to be weak from the sb w/ 88. My only miscalculation was that the bb had AK and this chick was not folding. She called and won the race. Oh well.

The next tournament was just torturne. It was the Monday b/f I came back. I dwindled my starting stack from 8k all the way down to 1400 in the first 40 minutes of the tournament. I don't know if anyone has ever felt this way, but 10 minutes into the tournament I was regretting signing up for it because I felt like I didn't want to be there. I am not sure if it was the hurricane shit going on or what, but I just wasn't into it on this morning. When I went down to 1400 I shipped it in the pot after one limper w/ A7hh figuring the sb who was very loose w/ his chips would call w/ any A,K,Q anything. He did w/ A3 and I doubled up. Before I knew it I was back to 7600 chips and 2 minutes b/f the break I pick up AA. 2 people limp and I am on the button. I raise to 950 at 100/200 and get one call from the big blind. The flop comes 953 w/ 2 spades. The blind checks to me and I bet 1200. He promptly check raises me to 3k as the break is starting. I count out my chips and tell him 5450 total. I'm allin. He snap calls. I said you have a set and he says no I just didn't believe you and reveals the almighty 77. He promptly his a 4 on the turn and a 6 on the river to give him a very nice stack going to the break. I got to go on a permanent break for that tournament. Shit happens.

I am hoping to get back to Shorty's next week, but first I have to deal w/ my big sports weekend. I am flying to Denver today to hook up w/ my cousin. He is picking me up at the airport and we are going straight to Boulder for the Colorado/West Virginia game. We are then going to the Diamondback/ Rockies game on Friday. Saturday we are going to have a day of drinking and eating as we watch college games all day. I am sure it will be split b/w my cousin's couch and a few sports bars around Denver. The weekend comes to an end Sunday as we are going to the Saints/Broncos game at Invesco field. I am super excited about this game as John Elway was my favorite QB growing up and the Broncos were my favorite team(except for the saints ofcourse). My friend Mason is coming on the trip also and when we are at football games together we tend to make crazy prop bets the whole time. It should be fun.
Matt got all the tickets ahead of time and we have excellent seats for all 3 games. I'll try to get some pics of the stadiums for all 3 of you reading. It should be fun.
Well I am at work and I still need to get out of here, pack, get a hair cut, and meet a friend for lunch. My flight is at 3; so getting all that done should be a challenge!
Lata

3 comments:

Ruttdawg said...

Get a hair cut? Wow that was funny.

Reid said...

D - if you're a true Saints fan, you'll find a way to "Jeff Gillooly" Brandon Marshalll before Sunday. That's our only chance.

Get on this, please.

Tiltin Texan said...

Throw a bottle at Jay Cutler if u can. He and Phillip Rivers have to be the two biggest jerks in NFL. Not since Ryan Leaf have I seen such dickheads.Well at least those dicks can play.
Must be tough being a single mom. Poor Toni.